Friday, June 17, 2011

Bi and Bi

A facebook friend was chatting with me recently.
"I split up with Larry", she said, "I found him in bed with another guy".
"Oh, sorry to hear that" I asked, "I thought you were both bi".
"We are."
"Have you thought about poly?"
"What's that?", she asked.
We talked about the various threesomes she and her ex have had recently. I went on to explain polyamorous relationships to her. I told her that she was actually in impromptu polyamorous relationships with the threesomes and maybe acknowledging the lifestyle wouldn't be too hard.
"Oh, " she argued, "I'm not into poly".
I figured we wouldn't go further on what was becomming a misunderstanding.
For me, the polyamorous lifestyle seemed like a mysterous vocation available only to the elite. And yet I was (and still am) living it with my roomates, J & M. We love each other in our special way and we love others. This is how it was when I first hooked up with them and this is how it is today. I just didn't recognize that this relationship is a form of polyamory.
Many of us may be living in a poly relationship and not even realizing it. Instead of worrying about what the label means, we just go about living day to day. If others want to label it a poly relationship, that's fine, but it won't change how we are living together.

No comments:

Post a Comment